The aim of the workshop was to improve the management of protected areas through the sharing of best practices and experiences between stakeholders and communities. More than 70 participants from Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana and Peru attended the first day of the workshop in Cayenne and 50 of them participated to the following 2 days in Régina on a more technical level. Among them, protected area managers, experts in the fight against goldmining, representatives of public institutions, NGOs and local communities concerned by this thematic discussed the issues and challenges encountered in each country, as well as the opportunities for cooperation.
In order to meet the objectives of this 3rd Regional Workshop in French Guiana, the working sessions focused on the legal framework of each territory (an overview of the mining laws and strategies of each country); the current situation in protected areas related to the thematic ; the actions already in place in the protected areas and at the borders and the impacts on local communities. Case studies and practices were also shared during this 3-day workshop and groups discussions were held, while having full knowledge of the legislative and organisational constraints of the 3 participating countries, on possible mechanisms of control.
This meeting succeeded in bringing together stakeholders and protected areas teams to discuss a sensitive matter whose context varies from one territory to another but with similar impacts on biodiversity and local communities’ livelihoods.
About the partners presentations
Overview of Gold Mining Sector
- Country Perspectives - French Guiana Amazonian Park (format PDF / 6 Mo)
- Country Perspectives - French Guiana Nouragues Natural Reserve (format PDF / 4 Mo)
- Country Perspectives - Guyana (format PDF / 5 Mo)
- Country Perspectives - Peru (format PDF / 3 Mo)
- Country Perspectives - Suriname (format PDF / 412 Ko)
- The goldmining sector of the Guianas and implications for Nature Conservation and PA management (format PDF / 2 Mo)
How are PAs responding to incidents and impacts ?
- How are PAs responding to incidents and impacts - French Guiana (ONF) (format PDF / 8 Mo)
- How are PAs responding to incidents and impacts - French Guiana (PAG) (format PDF / 7 Mo)
- How are PAs responding to incidents and impacts - Guyana (IWOKRAMA) (format PDF / 1 Mo)
- How are PAs responding to incidents and impacts - Guyana (PAC) (format PDF / 6 Mo)
- How are PAs responding to incidents and impacts - Suriname (ACT) (format PDF / 2 Mo)
- How are PAs responding to incidents and impacts - Suriname (format PDF / 2 Mo)
Impacts on local communities
Sharing of lessons learned and best practices
Strategic planning to address impacts of goldming